One of the greatest minds of our generation once said, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." While Ferris Bueller certainly knew a thing or two about taking shortcuts, he had no idea what women go through to look pretty.
As a woman, I feel like I can pick up where he left off. I've learned a lot of techniques for looking great while saving time, and I'd love to share them with you. These tips and techniques will save you time, effort, and energy while improving your ability to turn some heads.
- Make your perfume last all day by applying it in the right spots. For long-lasting scent coverage, you should apply your perfume to the pulse points of your body. These areas include behind your ears, inside your wrists, at the base of your throat, inside your elbows, and behind your knees. Layer perfume over same-scented lotion for even better results.
- Create your own gel eyeliner. It’s easier than you think! All you need is a pencil eyeliner and an open flame of some sort—stovetop, lighter, etcetera. Hold the tip of the eyeliner over the flame for one second, and then let it cool down for fifteen seconds. The next time you use the eyeliner, it should give you an intense, sultry smudge for a fraction of the cost of a new gel liner.
- Set your lipstick so it stays. Exfoliate your lips with a washcloth and apply lip balm. Choose a color of lipstick and apply it as usual. Once the color is on, grab a tissue. Hold the tissue against your mouth and lightly brush over it with translucent powder to set the lipstick. You should be able to eat, drink, and talk without smearing your color!
- Trim split ends at home. This trick is my favorite because I don’t like spending money at the salon. All you need is a pair of haircutting scissors. Take a small section of hair and twist it. You should see some split ends popping out. Trim the split ends. Wasn’t that easy?
- Touch up your manicure with a rubber band. If you, like me, are a fan of French manicures, you know how hard it can be to touch them up once they have started chipping. You can use a rubber band as a guide for your French manicure touch-ups!
- Use two brushes for blending makeup—one for application and one for blending. This method works especially well when applying smoky eye makeup.
- Make a peel-off base coat with glue. If you love glitter nail polish but hate the massive amount of effort required to remove it, consider making a base coat out of glue. Brush it on and wait for it to dry before applying your nail polish. When it comes time to remove the polish, it should peel right off with the glue! The best part? This coat can last up to a week.
- Flat iron your braids to get beachy waves. If you have thin to medium hair, braid sections of your hair and run a flat iron over them. Unravel the hair once it has cooled to get easy, breezy texture.
- Brighten up tired eyes with shimmery eyeshadow. Find a light beige or white color and apply it to the inner corners of your eyes to make you look more awake.
- Use a frosted eyeshadow to make lips look fuller. Apply it to the center of your lips and blend outward. The shimmer particles will catch the light and make your mouth look plumper.
With these beauty hacks under your belt, you can handle whatever life throws at you while still looking fabulous. And, like Ferris Bueller, you'll have plenty of time to have fun without playing hooky.